TRANSIT AND RAIL
New Mexico Department of Transportation's (NMDOT) Transit and Rail Division provides information to transit providers and the public on public transit service, rules and regulations, applying for federal transit grant programs, transit and rail plans and programs, and permitting procedures for accessing and crossing rail right-of-way. Please see the links below for necessary information for transit providers and grant applicants, as well as other transit related information for transit agencies and the public. The Transit & Rail Division also wants you to know that our staff is available to offer technical assistance, help answer questions, and put you in contact with others who have the same interests and goals.
Frank Sharpless, Transit and Rail Division Director
Office: 505-827-5607 firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Location: 1350 Alta Vista St., SB-4, PO Box 1149, Santa Fe, NM 87505
- 2016 Transit Guide
- Statewide Public Transportation Plan
- Statewide Public Transit Services Map
- Beneficiary Rights Under Title VI
- Transit Provider Contacts
- Rural Transit Providers
- Urban Transit Providers
- Enhanced Mobility for Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities
- Section 130 Highway-Rail Grade Crossing Safety Improvement
David Harris, Transit Bureau Chief
Office: 505-827-5420 email@example.com
Marcy Eppler, Transit Planning and Service Coordination Manager
Office: 505-827-5435 firstname.lastname@example.org
Delilah Garcia, Rural Transit Programs Manager
Office: 505-827-5653 email@example.com
TRANSIT OVERSIGHT, PLANNING AND SERVICE COORDINATION
- Manages the New Mexico Park and Ride intercity bus service.
- Provides technical and coordination assistance to public and private non-profit transit operators.
- Administers federal transit grants used by the state’s larger municipalities for Rideshare programs.
- Administers federal transit planning grants used by Metropolitan Planning Organizations (Metropolitan Planning Program (Section 5303).
- Administers Congestion Mitigation Air Quality and Surface Transportation Program Urban funds used for transit purposes from the Federal Highway Administration.
- Assists local governments to establish Regional Transit Districts (RTDs) and then assists the RTDs to plan, coordinate and implement service.
TRANSIT PROVIDER RESOURCES
FY 2017 FTA Section 5310 and 5311 Budget Awards
FY 2016 FTA Section 5310 and 5311 Budget Awards
FY 2015 FTA Section 5310 and 5311 Budget Awards
FY 2014 FTA Section 5310 and 5311 Budget Awards
FY 2013 FTA Section 5310, 5311, 5316, 5317 Budget Awards
FY 2012 FTA Section 5310, 5311, 5316, 5317 Budget Awards
Coordinated Public Transit - Human Services Transportation Plans
- Northern Pueblos Regional Transportation Planning Organization / Santa Fe Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Northeast Regional Transportation Planning Organization
- Northwest Regional Transportation Planning Organization / Farmington Metropolitan Planning Organization
- South Central Regional Transportation Planning Organization / Mesilla Valley Metropolitan Planning Organization / El Paso Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Southeast Regional Transportation Planning Organization
- Southwest Regional Transportation Planning Organization
- Mid-Region Council of Governments - Mid-Region Regional Transportation Planning Organization / Mid-Region Metropolitan Planning Organization
State Management Plan
- New Mexico State Management Plan (SMP) for the Administration of Federal Transit Grants (May 2015)
- SMP Appendices (May 2015)
- Transit Vehicle Procurement Procedures (Template for non-5311 Private-non-profit Organizations)
- Contracts and Procurement Policy and Procedures Manual (Template for 5311 subrecipients)
- Statewide Transit Vehicle Price Agreement - Agreement 60-00015
Federal Transit Administration Legislation, Regulations and Guidance
- Regulations, Circulars/Significant Guidance
- Federal Register Publications
- Grant Programs
TRANSIT GRANT APPLICATION RESOURCES
FY 2017 Applications
Letter of Intent to Apply for FY 2017 transit grant funds - deadline - July 2, 2015
Complete FY 17 applications will be due to NMDOT's Transit and Rail Division on September 4, 2015.
- FY 2017 Section 5310 (Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities) application
- FY 2017 Section 5311 (Rural Public Transit) application
Regional Prioritization Evaluation Measures/Criteria
- Section 5310 (Enhanced Mobility of Seniors and Individuals with Disabilities) regional prioritization measures/criteria
- Section 5311 (Rural Public Transit) regional prioritization measures/criteria
- Manages NM Rail Runner Express passenger rail service in partnership with the Rio Metro Regional Transit District.
- Provides support for commuter rail planning and operations for existing and proposed passenger rail service.
- Responsible for preparing and updating the New Mexico State Rail Plan
- Manages the inspection, maintenance and improvement of NMDOT-owned railroad property
- Applies for and administers Federal Railroad Administration grants
- Manages the railroad grade crossing safety improvement program
- Manages the railroad grade crossing permitting process
STATE RAIL PLAN
The New Mexico Department of Transportation (NMDOT) State Rail Plan describes the current status of the New Mexico rail system, demonstrates the demand for and the benefits of the rail system, and identifies capital infrastructure and operating needs. The Plan also provides a strategic vision and implementation steps to help guide decisions and investments affecting New Mexico’s rail system. The State Rail Plan complies with Federal requirements and will help position NMDOT to take advantage of Federal planning and funding programs that can facilitate implementation of statewide rail improvements.